Construction Methodology of Site Clearance
Clearing of land for preparation of the site to start construction activities is called Site Clearance. In other words, Site Clearance is the preliminary/initial process to start the work for construction. This work shall consist of cutting, removing, disposing and excavating all materials such as trees, bushes, shrubs, stumps, roots, grass, weeds and topsoil to the required thickness by clause 201 of MORT&H.
- Breaker (for Rocks)
- Dozer with ripper arrangement
- Motor Grader
- Dumpers / Tractor Trolleys
- Vibratory Rollers
- Water Tanker
- Survey Kit, etc.
- The limits of Road of Width (hereinafter called the “ROW”) will be set out as per the JMS / coordinates that were finalized during the detailed project report.
- The toe line shall be jointly fixed, regarding the alignment based on the O.G.L(original ground level) taken earlier. The area for Site Clearance shall be jointly pointed out, covering areas of road embankment, drains, cross drainage structures and such other areas as specified.
- The detailed list of trees that are yet to cut down will be kept with the Foreman or Supervisor.
- Cutting of trees including cutting of trunks, branches shall be done manually with felling axes. Jack saws and electric saws.
- Taking of stump shall be done by Excavator of enough capacity, excavating the surrounding soil and lifting them the excavators.
- After taking of stumps, loose soil shall be removed by excavator and the pits shaped properly.
- Backfilling the pits ensued from the pulling up of trees and stumps shall be done with excavated soil / borrow in layer and compacted with medium plate compactors. During this process, water, if required, shall be added with the help of a sprinkler fitted with the house and compaction continues. Compaction achieved in the pit shall be to the level of the surrounding area and required density as per specification.
- Waste material shall be disposed of by loading them in a tractor trolley and shall be taken to the dumping area for disposal. All the useful material shall be stacked within the roadway.
- Trees, up to 300mm in girth, shall be removed from the roots by plucking them by excavator and the pits filled up accordingly.
- The Dozer fitted with a ripper shall be deployed to remove all shrubs, bushes, vegetation, grass, weeds, rubbish and top organic soil not exceeding 150mm in thickness.
- This stripped soil so removed within the fill lines shall be loaded and transported to approved dumping areas by tippers.
- Moreover, Wherever necessary, the original ground shall be levelled to facilitate the placement of Embankment / Subgrade by Dozing with Dozer after clearing & Grubbing Operations.
- Anthills, If found both above and below the ground level shall be suitably treated.
- The existing soil of natural ground shall be tested for its suitability. In the event of the material non-conforming to the MORT&H specification. Further, it shall be removed and replaced with the approved material and compacted with a vibratory roller to achieve the required degree of compaction of 95%. In a case where the ground level is less than 0.5m required degree of compaction, shall be 97% and field density should be checked as per IS 2720 Part-8.
- OGL will be taken after clearing and grubbing both in the linear and transverse direction.
- Test frequency and surface finish shall conform to the requirements of MORT&H section 900.
STRIPPING AND STORING TOPSOIL
Topsoil existing over the sites of excavation will be stripped and stockpiled at designated locations for re-use in covering embankment slopes, cut slopes, berms and other disturbed areas where re-vegetation is desired. Priors to stripping the topsoil, all trees, shrubs etc. will be removed along with their roots.
Any resources / Properties next to the construction of the work site which is not to be disturbed shall be protected from damage.
All the excavated materials shall either be re-used or disposed of with all leads and lifts as per the contract agreement.
Traffic safety measures shall be taken care of along the stretches where clearing & grubbing activities are in progress. Barricades erected on either side of the carriageway/portion of the carriageway shall be of a strong design to resist vibration. Moreover, white and black bands and with reflective bands in between will be fixed, for demarcating the area of the proposed carriageway from the existing carriageway during the work. All the vehicles will have red flags and reflecting bands on the rear. In addition, Flagmen will be deployed where crossing of the existing road in unsafe areas
Tell us in the comments about what you think.
To support us do share this article with your friends
Also read: A best online way to convert Image to text