Construction Methodology of Tack Coat
Tack Coat shall consist of an application of a single coat low viscosity liquid bituminous material on primed surface or bituminous surface under clause 503 of MORT&H specification.
- Bitumen pressure sprayer
The tack coat material shall be bitumen emulsion cationic rapid setting (RS-1) as per IRC:16-2008 / IS 8887-2004 as per specifications given to the project work.
- The surface on which the tack coat is to be applied shall be clean and free from dust, dirt, and any extraneous material and otherwise prepared under 501.8 and 902 of MORT&H.
- Immediately before applying the tack coat, the surface shall be swept clean with a mechanical broom, high-pressure air jet, or by other means as directed by the Engineer.
- Trials shall be carried out to know the application of spraying at different speeds of the sprayer. The speed shall be fixed for the required application.
- The application (rate of spread) of bituminous tack coat shall be as per contract specification and clause 503 of MORT&H.
- Meanwhile, small areas, inaccessible to the distributor or in narrow strips shall be sprayed with a pressure hand sprayer or as directed by the Engineer.
- The tack coat shall be allowed to cure until all the volatile have evaporated before any subsequent construction is started.
- The surface shall not be opened to traffic other than that necessary to lay the next course.
In short, Workers are required to use protective gears like a special boot, hand gloves etc. Care will be taken to prevent spilling of material from the trucks during transportation.
If you like this article, please share this with your friends.
and tell us your queries in the comment box below.