What is the main purpose of AutoCAD and its Uses
AutoCAD is a software application for 2D and 3D designing and drafting. “CAD” refers to as Computer-Aided Design and Drafting. It is non-parametric software. In other words, It cannot change the length of the object by changing its dimensions.
The above figure shows the schematic screenshot of the screen revealing the basic components of the application.
Firstly, It is used to present the imaginary work into visible work on screen with measurements. Secondly, It can represent work both in 2D and 3D views. Thirdly, and most importantly, It is flexible to organize drawings efficiently and accurate.
The use of CAD process provides enhanced graphics capabilities that allow a designer to
- Conceptualise his ideas
- Modify the design easily
- Perform animations
- make design calculations
- Use colours, fonts and other features.
Some of the basic shortcut keys used in this application are
- Ctrl+9 – To on or off command bar
- Ctrl+S – To save file
- Ctrl+8 – use of Calculator
- Ctrl+1 – Properties Palette
- Ctrl+2 – Design Center
- Ctrl+N – To open a new file
- Ctrl+O – To open the previous file or required file
- Ctrl+P – used for printing
- Ctrl+Z – To undo the work
- Ctrl+Y – To redo the work
- Ctrl+0 – Used to on/off the Ribbon Bar and Navigation Bar
- Ctrl+Shift+S – To save the working file in a separate folder/file.
- MENUBAR – To hide or unhide the menubar
- RIBBONCLOSE – used to hide Ribbon Bar
- RIBBON – used to unhide the Ribbon Bar
- NAVBAR – To hide or Unhide navigation Bar
- STATUSBAR – To hide or unhide the Status Bar
- It is used to create 2D & 3D designs and models.
- GIves more accurate results than the conventional method.
- Reduces manpower requirement
- Saves time in drafting.
- Can be easily modified to the requirements.
- Finding errors is almost nil.
- Gives a detailed report on the drawing.
- printing can be done at any scale.
- Better quality design
- Easy modifications
Major functions to be performed by CAD are
- The basic setup of drawing
- Drawing the objects
- Changing the object properties
- Translating the object
- Scaling the object
- Clipping the object to fit the image to the screen
- Text insertion
Basic Utility commands used in Autocad are
- Limits – Allows changing the upper and lower limits of the drawing area while working on drawing.
- Save – Saves the current drawing which is on the screen and remains in the drawing editor for further changing.
- Quit – Returns to the main menu without updating the drawing file.
- End – Returns to the main menu by updating the drawing file.
- Help – List out all the commands used in AutoCAD. The list displays the name command with its basic function.
If you are new to this software, just try these shortcut keys. It will make it easy for you to use.
In conclusion, one of the best software for Civil Engineers those who are willing to choose the design field.
If you like this article, please do share this with your friends and tell us your queries in the below comment box.